Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Positive Impact.


My labor day was filled with PAINTING...PAINTING and more PAINTING....for my aunts middle school cheerleaders...I freaking love these little girls. They kind of remind me of myself when I was their age. They have the same problems, similar conversations, it's just in a new generation. I have gained a connection with a couple of the girls and they call me their big sister...I'm not really the type to show favoritism so I try to correct them because I know the feeling of being left out, and I never want anyone to feel that way! So I make sure I let them know that I love them equally 

So yesterday they had a 4 hour practice ON Labor Day...they needed it though. Today is their first game and I am so excited for them! This is some of their first times ever doing something like this and I just LOVE to see young ladies actually doing something positive and tasteful. Cheerleading was an experience for me and it showed me a lot of new things because I was not used to being around such a diverse group of girls. It showed me that YES black girls can cheer and we can actually be darn good at it. Although I never stuck with it, it wasn't because I wasn't good at it, it's because my passion was in another sport.

 I am just elated that my aunt is able to give these girls this opportunity because I actually talk to a few of the girls and they seriously look forward to being able to come to practice and be in a SAFE and POSITIVE environment because some of them are less fortunate than others. I myself once were in those shoes, not having support from parents while all the others parents were at every game and it seriously would put me down at times, but it never got the best of me. I continued to do something that keep me busy and I gained so many friends and opportunities in the midst of it all. 

My Cheer Days: 
That's me at the base!
 Being a cheerleader gave me opportunites to be apart of things I never thought I could do like, acting. I was picked to play a cheerleader in the famous musical, High School Musical my senior year of High School.



Being a Cornball


I will be at the game tonight on the sideline cheering for them, while they cheer on the Westlawn Warrior football team. I am glad that young ladies see me as a mentor and someone they can talk to, and I let them know that they can talk to me about ANYTHING. I was 14 and 15 before also, and I will only tell them what is right. 

These girls are TREMENDOUS :) 


Westlawn Warriors!


Peace & Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

images images images